Friday, November 29, 2013

Fighting Author Stereotypes

As I stumble through the process of becoming a writer, I would like to share the various lessons that I learn so that others need not make mistakes identical to my own.  While the rhythms and habits of writers are unique to each, I think I and most budding writers tend to mimic more established writers in the hopes that copying their style, phrasing or work habits will translate into similar success.  In the months that I have been working on producing short to medium length science fiction and fantasy novels, I have learned a great deal about what works for me and what doesn’t.


 I have read accounts about writers who work on their stories from dawn til dusk, and I tend to admire that kind of commitment and work ethic, but I cannot find the same kind of resolve in my own writing.  I am currently between major assignments as a marketing writer so I possess the free time, but cannot bring myself to write more than about 2,500 words a day.  On the days where I can write up to my maximum, I find it is usually on fantasy stories, where my characters, magic and setting are established and I can merely write the action sequences.  My scifi works take too much energy to create new “techie” terms for futuristic concepts which interrupts my flow. 

I wonder if these workaholic writers began writing voluminous amounts or if they worked up to it? There is a common metaphor that many of these writers utilize which is running a marathon. Very few people write their masterwork at the outset; instead they learn the basics and develop into the champion writer they are today. So there is some hope for me--I will use that as my life jacket. 

No comments:

Post a Comment